About

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why It Works - A Little Pink

Hello everyone!  Sorry the late post starting off this week.  I have to admit, I was a bit distracted by the Oscars on Sunday AND I was having some techinical difficulty.  All is resolved now.  :)

Speaking of Oscars, I do have to say, I just love Colin Firth.  Isn't he dashing?  I first fell in love with him as Mr. Darcy in BBC's Pride and Prejudice.  (*swoon*)  I haven't seen The King's Speech, but I definitely hope to soon.  What a great story!


I can't talk about the Oscars without talking about fashion.  One of my favorite dresses of the night... Melissa Leo's Marc Bouwer dress.  There wasn't too much talk about this dress, in fact it was on someone's worst dressed list, but I think it's beautiful.  I really like the lace and the cut.  Classic and timeless.  What do you think?  Now, I'm not saying anything about her acceptance speech.  :)


OK, onto Interior Design.  This week for WHY IT WORKS, we'll be picking apart the "pink" room featured on this the March issue of House Beautiful.  I think this room its feeling of fun and girly, but modern and graphic.  I'll be referring back to this photo when redoing our daughters room next month. 



WHY IT WORKS:

  • Color.  This is Pink Begonia by Benjamin Moore.  Again, what an easy way to use bold color when you have great white millwork.
  • Lines.  Take a look at all 4 pieces of furniture in this room.  They all have exposed legs, curvy lines and great details.  This is what gives the room its "fun" factor.
  • Pattern.  I'm really loving chevrons these days.  My favorite piece is that yellow/white armchair.  This picture is a great example of mixing patterns and colors.  It really works!
INSPIRATION:

  • As I've said before, don't be afraid of using bold color.  If you plenty of white to tone it down, it can really work in any room.
  • Furniture.  Think about the feel you want your room to have.  If you're going for light and airy, stick with pieces that are quite tailored and have exposed legs.  Notice there isn't anything bulky or oversized in this room.  Now, if you're going for loungy and warm and have the space for it, definitely go for things that are a little more billowy and fluffy.
  • I'm loving this color palette:  pale pink, golden yellow, light blue and white. 







1 comment:

seattlegal said...

I love Colin Firth. I haven't seen The King's Speech but I want to!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...