About

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Open Open Open


Ahh... I think it's almost safe to say that spring has FINALLY arrived in Seattle.  Boy... have we waited a long time this year!  I love that spring is synonymous with rebirth and new life.  Plants that were all bare just a month ago are suddenly bursting with precious little buds and little baby leaves.  You can almost feel the life coursing each plant in the garden.

One of my greatest gardening joys is seeing my beloved tree peonies bloom.  So gorgeous!  And to think that I played a small part in bringing it to this point is so gratifying.  :D


1, 2, 3, 4.... at least 8 buds!  Woohoo!


Another spring rite of passage of is the blooming of my lilac bushes. So beautiful and SOO fragrant.  There's nothing else like it.  Both peonies and lilacs bloom only once and for a very short period of time.  They epitomize "elevate the everyday".  You have to stop to enjoy them before they're gone!




Having a cutting garden has always been a dream of mine.  I'm a beginner and have a very modest garden.  Even still, I'm able to enjoy some wonderful flowers and plants that I can bring in anytime I want, AND for free.   :)  It's nothing like a Martha Stewart cutting garden, but it brings me immense joy nonetheless.  Perhaps some day....


(via marthastewart.com)

Here's a list of some of the favorites in my garden and some that I hope to have in the future.

  • Peonies, tree or herbaceous
  • Lilacs
  • Alliums
  • Dahlias
  • English Roses
  • French Lavender
  • Hydrangeas, mophead and oak leaf
  • Poppies
  • Lupine
  • Wisteria (which has yet to bloom consistently... but I'm optimistic)

If you're in the Northwest, Great Plant Picks is a GREAT resource for finding plants that have proven to work in our area.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...