About

Monday, June 20, 2011

Oh Joy in Portland


On Saturday, the whole family boarded a train in Seattle and spent the weekend in Portland.  The main purpose was for me to attend a blogging workshop taught by a blogger I really admire, Joy, from the blog, Oh Joy!  My dear husband took the kids to the Oregon Zoo on Father's Day while I attended my class Sunday morning.  If you attended that class and are visiting me for the first time,  WELCOME!  :)

Joy was so great in person and shared many wonderful nuggets of information and inspiration.  It's always refreshing to meet bloggers in person, especially more established bloggers.  It really is true that every blogger is simply a regular person sitting in front of their computer sharing what they are passionate about.  Granted, some have AMAZING style, like Joy.  I now want to revamp my whole blog!  :P  I have to admit, it is humbling to be a small fish in a big pond, but no better way to learn how to swim, than from the big fish, right?  :)

If you are an aspiring bloggers yourself, here are a few more great resources I've come across this year.

Here's a link to a really useful post by Nicole of Making It Lovely.  She gave great pointers on how to get beautiful interior shots of your home.

I've taken 2 classes from Nicole's classes, one on Photoshop and the other on Illustrator.  They are great!  The instructors teach in a way that is is very hands on and helps you dive into your own projects right away.   I hope to take some mini courses this summer.

Lastly, this spring, I took the e-course, Blogging Your Way, taught by Holly Becker of Decor8 and Leslie Shewring of  A Creative Mint.   BYW is a jam packed 4 week class that teaches you everything you'd want to know about blogging.  I'd totally recommend it!

The blogging community has been great and many seasoned bloggers like Joy, Holly and Leslie are so good about helping newbies get started.  It's all about encouraging people to find their voice and passion and giving people a platform to share their gifts and talents with the world.  How awesome is that?

I'll be back with our usual WHY IT WORKS post tomorrow.

1 comment:

voodoogirly said...

What a spot on summary of Joy's workshop! It was lovely to meet you there and to discover your blog now. Either you learned a lot in those classes or you're a natural! :) I'll be a regular here, for sure.

Thanks for passing along the great resources, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...