About

Sunday, June 26, 2011

WHY IT WORKS - A Fresh Gingham Dining Room

Every once in awhile, I'll run across a bold photo that will make me stop and think..."hmmm maybe that COULD really work in real life.  That's what I thought when I saw this photo in House and Home.


    
    

  • Updated Classics.  Gingham is classic and will never go out of style.  I love taking more traditional lines and patterns and giving them an updated feel with either scale or color.  This gingham wall is fresh, AND classic.  I think it's really a show stopper.  You can tell that the person who lives here definitely has some style and is willing to take some risks.
  • Balancing Bold.  Whenever you do a bold wall or have a bold piece of furniture, you want that to take center stage so build around that with items that are more neutral and simple.  The white dining table and bentwood chairs do just that in this room.
  • This wall treatment was a diy project that takes quite a bit of work.  With 3 shades of blue, and drawing and taping out grids, you are replicating the look of gingham.  Rather than do this project exactly as is, consider painting stripes, applying wall paper or just covering a piece of canvas with fabric.  I think a yard of this BERTA RUTA fabric from IKEA might just do the trick!  ($8.99/yard)  Nice!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...